October 1, 2017

Favorite Workouts To Do


Fitness has always been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember. I started off with gymnastics, which eventually lead me to a life long journey full of cheerleading & lacrosse. Every time I’m asked how I stay in shape no one ever believes that I owe my fitness to cheerleading. I've learned so much about body control, strength and core strength due to the sport that it helps me shape my workouts now.

 Since I’ve retired from sports I’m constantly trying to come up with new workouts or take new classes that are fun yet challenging. In this post I’m highlighting all of my favorite workouts/classes I’ve tried that keep me in shape.








Hot Yoga:
This is one of my favorite workouts to do when it’s cold outside. The class is relaxing yet extremely challenging due to the 90 minutes you spend in a hot 110-degree room. While taking these classes consistently I’ve noticed that my flexibility & body control started to improve. Another bonus, hot yoga is said to burn about 1000 calories per class. If you’re considering trying out a class, drink an excessive amount of water throughout the day beforehand because you will sweat it out. For the girls (and guys!) who live by me, check out this studio.

Aerial Yoga:
I've taken a handful of beginner aerial yoga classes and have come to love it. The class takes you through several seated positions in the swing so you learn to trust it, then the positions gradually get more challenging and eventually you start to invert. The inversions are said to help decompress your spine, it feels great on your body and hanging upside down for a while isn't as bad as it seems. I truly believe anyone can take an aerial yoga class; I've experienced classes with people of all ages and different skill levels. 

Tone It Up:
ToneIt Up has become my go to place for free workouts. Every Monday they send a newsletter to your inbox of your weekly workout and each day focuses on a different area of the body. When I head to the gym I just pull up the daily workout page on their app and immediately have a plan. This is perfect for when you don't know what to work or what moves to do and most workouts require no equipment, you can do them all at home! Each workout comes with multiple images showing you how to do each move properly as well! 

TRX Straps:
Another one of my favorite workouts to do at the gym is using the TRX straps. Even though these exercises are all bodyweight lifting, the workout itself is tough! I usually work on arms & core or I'll do a leg workout with the straps. You can find great exercises here.


Below I've highlighted some of my favorite workout gear, use the arrows to scroll! 

All photography done by: Chelsea Swanger
Check out her page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment