July 24, 2018

spin4 crohn's and colitis cures



Today I'm taking a little break from my usual posts and writing about something that has had a huge impact on me; the spin4 crohn's & colitis cures movement.

A few weeks ago, one of my best friends (Morgan) reached out to me asking if I could partner with the spin4 crohn's and colitis cures movement for a mini campaign to celebrate "International Friendship Day", I immediately said yes. Although I have a small platform on social media, I felt it was so important for me to share what this movement is currently doing for my friend and the other 1.6 million people currently affected by crohn's and ulcerative colitis.

Let's start with the questions most of you are probably asking:

What is crohn's & ulcerative colitis?

Crohn's is a chronic inflammatory condition of the gastrointestinal tract. Ulcerative colitis is also a chronic inflammatory condition but limited to the colon (large intestine). If you'd like to read a little more about this disease, you can head here.

Why am I so supportive of spin4 crohn's & colitis cures?

spin4 crohn's & colitis cures' goal is to find a cure and better the lives of patients living with crohn's & colitis, I would want nothing more than for both of those things to happen for Morgan. She was first diagnosed back in high school right before we were heading off to college. She spent our entire freshman year of college fighting for comfort & trying different treatments all while trying to achieve a normal 19 year old social life. 

Being Morgan's roommate freshman year truly gave me insight in to what an IBD patient's life is like, and let me tell you, it's not easy. To give you an idea, Morgan would get intense pain in her stomach randomly which has almost caused her to faint a handful of times. You can see how this could alter your social and everyday life. I watched Morgan struggle with symptoms daily until the doctor could find a treatment that worked for her and although she is doing much better now, she shouldn't have had to go through the pain and side effects that she suffered through. That's why I am informing you about spin4 crohn's & colitis cures today so you can work towards a cure with us and maybe even save someone from having to go through what Morgan experienced.

How you can help = spin4 crohn's & colitis:

spin4 crohn's & colitis cures is an indoor cycling relay to find cures for the 1.6 million people living with this disease. This is unlike any other fundraiser i've ever been to. As soon as you walk into the room you are immediately celebrating the strides you are making as a team to raise money for such an amazing cause. It's a fun, high energy experience that truly makes you feel as though you are working towards making a difference. 

What you get: 

1. An event t-shirt you won't want to take off (not kidding, I wear mine weekly to work out) 
2. A soft towel you can use over and over again (or maybe even for your next spin4 event!)
3. Ability to earn more swag once you reach "VIP" status
4. A party on a bike with your friends (it's seriously so much fun!) 

Are you ready to find an event near you? 







No comments:

Post a Comment