January 16, 2019

Podcasts for Commuters, Road Trips & Travel

Life lately has consisted of lots of long car rides. Between driving to work, long road trips moving Ryan to his next destination or just visiting my college friends who all live about an hour away, I had a lot of time to pass. As I was constantly getting in the car and embarking on these long rides, my brother suggested podcasts to me. To be honest, a podcast sounded like work where I had to really pay attention instead of decompressing from the day or just relaxing. But I couldn't have been more wrong! 

My first podcast ever was "Serial". Ryan had downloaded it for our fist ten hour car ride together when we first moved him to Notre Dame in 2017 and it made the drive fly by, I couldn't wait to get back in the car and continue where we left off! Ever since then I was hooked and looking for my next listen. 

Fast forward to now, and I can't drive without listening to a podcast. It makes my commute to work productive, interesting and relaxing depending on the show I choose to listen to that day. If you're a fellow commuter or have got miles of open roads ahead of you, i've listed all of my favorite podcast below so that you too can get through those long drives easily! 


If you like true crime: 
  • Serial Season 1 - A popular high school senior disappears after school one day and with a few weeks of investigation they arrest her high school boyfriend. The bf claims his innocent yet can't remember what he was doing that day. Witnesses point their fingers at him, but she can't be found. Who's side are you on? 
  • Up and Vanished Season 1 - Payne Lindsey, a filmmaker, sets out to film a true-crime documentary when he comes across the unsolved missing persons case of Tara Grinstead. The teacher went missing one night in a very small town and everyone claims they "may or may not have seen something", in fear they may vanish too. The case unravels as each episode plays taking you deeper and deeper into the mystery. 
  • Broken Hearts - The parents of six adopted children packed their family into their SUV and left home just hours after an unanswered visit from Child Protective Services who was following up on a welfare call. Just days later the family was found dead off the side of a cliff. As the story is told, interesting details emerged about how the parents treated the children leaving people to wonder if this accident was on purpose. 
  • Gladiator - Listen to how football star, Aaron Hernandez went from NFL football star to a convicted murderer within a few short years. I wasn't expecting to like this podcast but it is so interesting and truly takes you behind the scenes of Hernandez's life. 
  • Happy Face - A daughter tells the painful story about how she found out her dad was a serial killer. She takes us through her childhood and lets us experience exclusive interviews with her father himself and why he did what he did. 
  • Dr. Death - If you're scared easily, I highly suggest you skip this one. This podcast is about a charming Texas surgeon who was convicted of malpractice, leaving 31 of his patients seriously injured, in critical condition, or dead after he performed surgery. I couldn't stop listening to this one, and to say it kept me awake during a long drive is an understatement as my jaw just continued to drop! 
You can find all of these podcasts in the apple podcast app for free. Post and tag me in your story if you listened to any of my suggestions, I want to know what you think! 


No comments:

Post a Comment